Hot off the AJC online press: DeKalb schools move lawsuit to federal court
After spending an astounding $15.5 million in trial preparation, DeKalb County school officials will attempt to cut down on additional legal expenses by moving a lawsuit against construction manager Heery/Mitchell to federal court.
On Monday, the school board opted to transfer the suit from DeKalb County Superior Court to federal court, schools spokesman Walter Woods told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
The board requested the transfer on the same day a DeKalb judge signed an order allowing Heery/Mitchell to sue individual school board members, former superintendent Crawford Lewis and other administrators. The suit previously named only the school district. . . .
“We’re trying to take the route that will get us to court the soonest," Bowen said. "The federal docket is managed much tighter to keep cases from moving. The faster we get to trial, the less expensive it will be.”
Even with the change in venue, Bowen anticipates the trial won't be scheduled for another year.
$15.5 million! (Heavy) Sigh!