Tuesday, September 29, 2009
DeKalb Schools Recognized for Achievement, Improvement
We're happy to give credit where credit has been earned and announce the Georgia Achievement Winners - including 24 DCSS schools - Congratulations!
Superintendent's Distinguished Achievement Award Winners Named
State Superintendent of Schools Kathy Cox today announced the winners of the second annual Superintendent's Distinguished Achievement Awards. Among the winners were 24 schools within DeKalb County School System.
These awards honor schools for high achievement and the greatest improvement on state curriculum tests. A certificate is being sent to the winning schools acknowledging their achievement.
"We are honoring schools that showed the greatest improvement and highest achievement on our state tests," said State Superintendent of Schools Kathy Cox. "These awards are just a small way of saying "thank you" for the hard work put in by our teachers, students and school communities. Congratulations to all the winners!"
The Superintendent's Distinguished Achievement Awards are based on the performance of students on the Criterion-Referenced Competency Tests (CRCT), the Georgia High School Graduation Tests (GHSGT), the End-of-Course Tests (EOCT) and the state Writing Tests. These awards acknowledge schools in two categories:
• IMPROVEMENT: The 10 schools in each honored subject area and grade that had the greatest improvement in the percentage of students meeting or exceeding standards.
• ACHIEVEMENT: The 10 schools in each honored subject area and grade that had the highest percentage of students score in the ‘exceeds’ category.
Of the Improvement winners, Superintendent Cox said: "Moving the needle as quickly as these schools have takes collaboration, dedication and focus."
Of the Achievement winners, Superintendent Cox said: "These are the schools that have large numbers of students performing at the highest levels of achievement. This type of performance is the result of high expectations and hard work.”
The Superintendent's Distinguished Achievement Awards are being handed out in the following subjects and grades:
• READING and ENGLISH LANGUAGE ARTS: Grades 1-8 Reading CRCT; Grades 2 & 6 English Language Arts CRCT; 9th Grade Literature EOCT (high school only); American Literature EOCT; English Language Arts & Reading GHSGT
• MATHEMATICS: Grades 1-8 Mathematics CRCT; Mathematics GHSGT
• SOCIAL STUDIES: Grades 4 & 8 CRCT; U.S. History EOCT; Economics EOCT; Social Studies GHSGT
• SCIENCE: Grades 5-8 CRCT; Physical Science EOCT; Biology EOCT; Science GHSGT
• WRITING: Grade 5 Writing Test, Grade 8 Writing Test, Georgia High School Writing Test
- Due to the roll out of the state's new curriculum, the Georgia Performance Standards, the following categories are not being awarded: Algebra 1 EOCT, Geometry EOCT, Grade 4 Social Studies CRCT (improvement only; achievement is being awarded).
- Awards are given based on spring 2009 CRCT results. Summer retest results are not included.
- Only schools with 10 or more students taking the test in 2009 are considered for the award.
Award winning schools
Criterion-Referenced Competency Tests (CRCT)
Oak Grove ES
Academy of Lithonia
DeKalb PATH Academy
International Community School
Rock Chapel ES
Stone Mountain MS
End-of-Course Tests (EOCT)
Chamblee Charter HS DeKalb School of the Arts (DSA)
Clarkston HS DeKalb Alternative
Destiny Academy of Excellence Stone Mountain HS
Georgia High School Graduation Tests (GHSGT)
DeKalb School of the Arts (DSA)
DeKalb HS of Technology North DeKalb Alternative
Destiny Academy of Excellence
Georgia Writing Tests
Clarkston HS DeKalb HS of Technology North
Gateway to College
Dekalb County Schools
GA Dept of Education